Bulbaceous, perennial, herb, 0.3-2 m high. Fl. black/brown-black/yellow-brown, Oct to Dec or Jan. White, grey or yellow sand, laterite, sandy clay. Dry and seasonally wet sites.
Leaves round (leaves terete) or elliptical (leaves compressed), 120-590 mm long, 1-5 mm wide; bristles or hairs on the leaf margin absent; hairs on the surface of the leaf absent (leaf surfaces glabrous). Scape present, glabrous, 650-775 mm long. Inflorescence subtended by a bract 25-45 mm long, with several flowers; floral bracts 5-9 mm long; pedicels present, 2-2.5 mm long; flowers 11-14 mm long. Perianth glabrous, radially symmetrical, uniformly coloured, yellow, red or reddish-brown to purple, black, brown or yellowish brown, clearly with three inner and three outer tepals, the inner segments 8-11 mm long. Stamens three, in one level; filaments 1-1.2 mm long; anther 2-2.7 mm long, without an appendage. Style 10-12 mm long. Flowers in January, October, November or December. Occurs in the Geraldton Sandplains, Swan Coastal Plain, Avon Wheatbelt, Jarrah Forest, Warren and Esperance IBRA bioregion(s), of the South-west Botanical Province.
- IBRA Regions
- Avon Wheatbelt, Esperance Plains, Geraldton Sandplains, Jarrah Forest, Swan Coastal Plain, Warren.
- IBRA Subregions
- Dandaragan Plateau, Fitzgerald, Geraldton Hills, Katanning, Lesueur Sandplain, Northern Jarrah Forest, Perth, Recherche, Southern Jarrah Forest, Warren.
- IMCRA Regions
- Central West Coast, WA South Coast.
- Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- Albany, Augusta Margaret River, Bayswater, Boyup Brook, Busselton, Cambridge, Canning, Capel, Carnamah, Chittering, Cockburn, Collie, Coorow, Cranbrook, Dandaragan, Denmark, Esperance, Gingin, Gnowangerup, Gosnells, Greater Geraldton, Harvey, Irwin, Jerramungup, Kalamunda, Kojonup, Mandurah, Manjimup, Mundaring, Murray, Nannup, Nedlands, Perth, Plantagenet, Ravensthorpe, Serpentine-Jarrahdale, South Perth, Subiaco, Swan, Three Springs, Toodyay, Victoria Plains, Wandering, Wanneroo, West Arthur, York.