Prostrate perennial, herb. Fl. white-pink, Oct or Dec or Jan to Mar. Grey sand, sandy clay. Sand dunes, lawns.
- IBRA Regions
- Avon Wheatbelt, Esperance Plains, Geraldton Sandplains, Jarrah Forest, Mallee, Swan Coastal Plain, Warren.
- IBRA Subregions
- Katanning, Lesueur Sandplain, Northern Jarrah Forest, Perth, Recherche, Southern Jarrah Forest, Warren, Western Mallee.
- Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- Albany, Brookton, Bunbury, Busselton, Cambridge, Canning, Dandaragan, Esperance, Fremantle, Harvey, Kulin, Melville, Swan, West Arthur.
Management Notes (for the Swan NRM Region)
Alternative Names. Strawberry Clover.
General Biology. Growth form. Herb. Life form. Perennial. Reproduction. Seed. Dispersal. Agricultural activities.
Notes. Has low germination rates in unsuitable environmental conditions.
Additional information. Origin. North Africa, Macronesia, temperate and tropical Asia, Europe. History of use/introduction. Lawn/turf, soil improver, forage. Similar exotic species. Trifolium species.
Suggested method of management and control. Spot spray with 1% glyphosate before flowering. Otherwise spot spray Lontrel® 3 ml/10 L (150 ml/ha) up to 6 leaf stage. Read the manufacturers' labels and material safety data sheets before using herbicides. For further information consult the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority to determine the status of permits for your situation or state.
Legend: Y = Yes, regularly, O = Occasionally, U = Uncertain, referred by others but not confirmed.
- Brown, K. & Brooks, K. (2002) Bushland Weeds: A Practical Guide to their Management. Environmental Weeds Action Network, Greenwood.
- Bulinska-Radomska, Z. (2002) Reproductive biology, genetic diversity and population structure of Trifolium species. In Broad variation and precise characterization - limitation for the future. Proceedings of the XVIth EUCARPIA Genetic Resources Section workshop, Poznan, Poland, 16-20 May 2001. 2002. 156-161.
- Buliska-Radomska, Z. (2000) Enzyme polymorphism and adaptation in strawberry clover (Trifolium fragiferum L.). Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 47 (2): 197-205.
- Can, E., Celiktas, N., Hatipoglu, R. & Avci, S. (2009) Breaking seed dormancy of some annual Medicago and Trifolium species by different treatments. Turkish Journal of Field Crops, 14 (2): 72-78.
- Hussey, B.M.J., Keighery, G.J., Dodd, J., Lloyd, S.G. & Cousens, R.D. (2007) Western Weeds. A guide to the weeds of Western Australia. 2nd Edition. The Plant Protection Society of Western Australia, Victoria Park.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program (2009) Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN). National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL: https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomysimple.aspx - Accessed October 2009.